Sermon for Sunday 13 December: 3rd Sunday of Advent. REJOICE! The Lord is near!

Sermon for Sunday 13 December 2015

3rd Sunday in Advent

Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Jerusalem

The Rev. Carrie Smith

Philippians 4:4-7

***

New Gate Tree, in process
As I was walking near New Gate the other day, I saw a glorious site: the Christmas tree on the roof of the Freres School, being decorated in a flurry of activity by a crew of at least ten men. It made me smile – both to see the lights going up this year, and to remember my reaction to the very same tree last year. 

Last year in Advent, just a few months after moving to Jerusalem, I saw that tree as a bit of a monstrosity. I mean, there were just SO MANY LIGHTS. And ornaments as big as my head. And a life-sized nativity set. And music. And sparkles. And nearby, Santa playing violin, Santa playing guitar, Santa playing electric organ, and the ever-popular Santa playing saxophone. I can remember thinking “this is NOT what I expected Christmastime in the Holy Land to look like!”

This year, however, is different. This year, I’m more aware that the season of waiting also includes waiting for the next security alert on our phones. We’re not only expecting the birth of Jesus, we’re expecting new roadblocks to appear on our streets, and new illegal settlements to creep into our neighborhoods. We’re not only anticipating Christmas in the Middle East, we’re anticipating that things will get worse before they get better.

This year, the audacious joy of the New Gate Christmas Tree feels to me like a protest against the violence and killing of recent months. It feels like a small piece of resistance to the darkness threatening this city and the world.

It’s true, though, that some are questioning whether such a Christmas celebration is even appropriate, given the situation. So many have been killed. So much hope has been lost. How are we to celebrate under these circumstances?

New Gate Tree, almost complete!
This is the question I asked my hairdresser, Samer, a Palestinian Christian who also happens to be on the organizing committee for that fabulous New Gate tree. His answer was, “It’s true, many are saying “they” will not approve. And this year we will decorate a little less. But who are “they” anyway? And who are “they” to tell us not to have Christmas? We need Christmas now more than ever.”

Indeed, the situation is terrible in Jerusalem, in Bethlehem, in Hebron. The world is boiling over, in this place and many others. But this isn’t the first time Christmas has come during a time of conflict, war, or despair. This isn’t the first time the world has waited in darkness for the light to appear. After all, Jesus does not come to an already sparkling, pure, perfectly decorated world. His birth among us is not extra, or expendable, or an extravagance to be put aside during difficult times. The incarnation of Jesus, the Word made flesh, God-with-us, the light shining in the darkness, is the foundation of our faith, of our hope, and of our joy—this year, and always.

In today’s second reading, the Apostle Paul tells the embattled Christian community at Philippi to “Rejoice in the Lord always.” The Philippian Christians were struggling with threats both from the outside and from within. There was concern that the church would crumble under the weight of their situation. Paul wrote to encourage them, but not as some feel-good, self-help guru. His words held particular significance because he himself knew about dark times. Paul knew persecution. He even knew the inside of a prison. And yet, again he said to the people, “Rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” 

Though we may be persecuted, though we may be imprisoned, though we may be suffering oppression, though we may be threatened by extremism, though we may even be facing death, as people of faith our response will always be prayer, thankfulness, and joy.

Of course, being joyful doesn’t mean sticking our heads in the sand, ignoring the news, or somehow putting on a fake, happy smile to mask the pain. There’s a difference between joy and happiness! There's nothing wrong with being happy. We’re happy with a good grade on a test. We’re happy with an excellent Christmas gift, or a tasty dinner, or when our candidate is up in the polls. We’re happy when a day in this city goes by somewhat peacefully, or when good friends arrive for the holidays.

But joy isn’t dependent on the circumstances of the day. It’s not found under the tree, or in the lights on the tree. Joy is a gift from God. Joy lies in a manger, in the city of Bethlehem, and was announced by a host of angels. Joy is the sure and certain knowledge that because God so loved the world, the Lord is near—to you, to me, and to all humanity.

Thanks be to God, the Lord is near! Of course, at times it’s difficult to sense the nearness of God. Even here in the holy city, just a few kilometers away from the manger and the stable and the shepherds’ fields, Jesus can seem far away. Terror, tear gas, knives, guns and walls often feel nearer to us than the Prince of Peace. Given our current situation, we may find ourselves asking, “Where is my joy? Where is Jesus?”

During my years in seminary, the school had a special program which encouraged students to participate in so-called “Growth in Faith” activities. Essentially, we were required to earn credits by doing “spiritual” things – things which would encourage growth in faith. This program might seem unnecessary for a group of students studying to be Lutheran pastors, but believe me, some of us needed that extra encouragement to get our heads out of the books and our eyes turned toward God.

One of the options for Growth in Faith credit was working with a spiritual director. Since the school was offering to pay for the first semester, I signed up. Even with the credits to be earned and the free price tag, I admit I arrived with an attitude. I didn’t know what to expect, but I thought it all might be too “silly” for a serious future pastor like myself.

And sure enough, as soon as I arrived for that first session my spiritual director lowered the lights and lit a candle. She invited me to run my hands through a bowl of sand. Then she had me close my eyes and asked me to breathe deeply. “This is SOOOO silly”, I thought.

It took a few more sessions before I let go of my attitude and let God start working on my heart. This was happening during a time of great change and discernment for me and for my family, so most of my sessions with the spiritual director, Lorelei, were focused on how I was dealing with worry and anxiety. One day, Lorelei asked me to close my eyes and to consider “Where is Jesus right now?”

Where is Jesus?! Even after several sessions together, this exercise seemed pretty silly. Where is Jesus? How should I know? Isn’t Jesus in heaven? Isn’t Jesus everywhere? Jesus is probably hanging out with the suffering and oppressed, where’s he’s supposed to be. Still, Lorelei pressed on. “Don’t worry, just breathe—and pray.” she said. “Where is Jesus?”

So I did. I let go of some of the worry, and the attitude. I closed my eyes and prayed for direction and for faith. I prayed for some clue about where Jesus was.
And then...I suddenly knew. I knew where Jesus was! “I think I sense him, standing behind me!” I said to Lorelei, surprising myself. “Jesus is behind me, with his hands on my shoulders!”

“Ah…” she said knowingly. “So, Jesus has your back.”

Indeed…even in those difficult, worrying times, even when I felt lost, even when I was confused, Jesus had my back. The Lord was near—nearer than I ever imagined. I was not alone.

This, sisters and brothers, is our joy: during Advent, during Christmas, and every other day of the year. The Lord is near.

In the manger, Jesus is near to all humanity and all creation.
On the cross, Jesus is near to all who are oppressed or suffering.
And having walked out of the tomb, resurrected and whole, Jesus will be with us -- near to us -- always.

Therefore, rejoice, for when you pass through the checkpoints – the Lord is near.
When the neighborhood is filled with tear gas -- the Lord is near.
When you are at the doctor’s office – the Lord is near.
When you are by the graveside of a friend – the Lord is near.
When your job is ending – the Lord is near.
When a new stage in life is beginning – the Lord is near.
When the path ahead is unclear – the Lord is near.
When the world seems to be falling apart – the Lord is near.
When we are still waiting for the advent of peace with justice for all the people of Palestine and Israel – the Lord is near.

JOY TO THE WORLD!
The children of Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
Jerusalem
Dear sisters and brothers:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Amen. 

Comments