Maundy Thursday Sermon from Jerusalem 2020

MAUNDY THURSDAY 2020

Rev. Carrie Ballenger
Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Jerusalem


Photo above by Brittany Browning

(click link to watch)


May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Amen.

There’s a story told about St. John the Evangelist, that when he was old and frail, and no longer able to preach long sermons, his disciples would carry him to the crowd with great difficulty. And when he got there, every time, he would just repeat this same phrase over and over: “My dear children, love one another.  My dear children, love one another. My dear children, love one another.” When the crowd, tired of hearing the same old thing, asked why he kept repeating it, he answered: "Because it is the command of the Lord, and if you comply with it, you do enough.”

Dear friends, this is Maundy Thursday, the day we remember the mandatum, or commandment, that followers of Jesus are to love one another as Jesus has loved us. Most years, here at Redeemer Church we gather with our German, Palestinian, Danish, Swedish, Dutch, and Finnish sisters and brothers (among others) for a big international worship service. Prayers and readings are offered in as many as 12 different languages. Short sermons on Holy Communion and foot-washing are given in 2 of those languages. And then, we gather at the table as one beautifully diverse and global church, to share the presence of Jesus in the bread and the wine with one another.

Although coordinating that multilingual service can be chaotic and gives me a headache almost every year, I’m really missing it this year, along with our other Holy Week and Easter traditions. I think especially on this day—when we remember how Jesus gathered for a dinner party with 12 of his closest friends—it feels sad that we must be so separate for this Holy Week. It has been many weeks (and will be many weeks more) before 12 of us can be gathered anywhere together!

Gathering at the table for Holy Communion, in remembrance of the Last Supper, is an essential part of any Maundy Thursday service, but although we always have a meditation on foot-washing, to my knowledge we have never held a foot-washing service here. I suppose I’m not too surprised, as my experience is this is a hard sell with most congregations. Every time I’ve brought up the idea in a council meeting or with a worship, it’s been met with a resounding “Oh no, Pastor! I don’t want people to see my feet.”

Our discomfort with this tradition (which some church denominations do carry on, by the way) is probably not just about feet. Fear of being seen, truly seen, is at the root of what makes us uncomfortable about following this command and including it in our liturgies, even though the Lord said clearly “So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.”

(Side note: You know what’s funny? Right now, after weeks of isolation, I would love to be seen! And I would love to see all of you! Feet and all!)

I have this memory of a Maundy Thursday service held at the church I served before I moved to Jerusalem. It was a large church, but there was a very small crowd at this Holy Week service because—you guessed it—people heard we were doing foot-washing.

When we got to that part of the liturgy, the assistant pastor and I washed each other’s feet as an example, and then we nervously sat with towels and bowls of water, ready to wash whoever came forward.

And no one did.

There were some very awkward moments as I started to make alternate plans in my head (What if no one comes? How do I end this disaster gracefully?) until 5-year old Annika came down the aisle. She kicked off her shoes, sat down, and stuck her feet in front of me. She was ready to be washed!

There was a collective sigh of relief from the congregation, and lots of smiles, because of course, Annika was very very cute.

And then something amazing happened. Annika took my towel and, together with her grandmother, took over my bowl of water. Annika wanted to wash feet! Soon she had plenty of them to wash, as people started to come forward. Each time someone stood up from being washed by her tiny hands, Annika looked out at the congregation with a look that said “I see you have feet. Get up here!”

Annika didn’t see imperfect toes or calloused heels, she saw her church family. She didn’t see a former Bishop coming to be washed, she saw her friend Rafael. Annika she saw an opportunity to get involved. She also saw an opportunity to play in water, for sure! But most of all, she saw an opportunity to love, in a way that was brand new for her. And she blessed us all in doing it.

Dear friends, Maundy Thursday isn’t really about feet, or about foot-washing. This day is about the kind of love Jesus has for us, which was demonstrated on that holy night when he knelt and washed the feet of his disciples. This is a love that is bigger than Coronavirus. It’s a love that’s bigger than our fears. It’s a love that sees us, for who we really are, and then loves us even more. It’s a love that lasts to the cross and beyond.

Jesus’ entire life—his ministry, his teachings, and ultimately his suffering with us and for us on the cross—inaugurated a new way of loving one another and the world. And on the night in which he was betrayed, Jesus, the King of Love, passed that new way on to us, commanding us: love one another as I have loved you.

Yes, we are commanded, we are mandated, we are called and sent to love. Even when we don’t feel like it. Even when it is hard. Even when we must do it in new and different ways. it is new and different. 

Sometimes that looks like sharing a meal. Sometimes it looks like physical intimacy. Sometimes it looks like political action or advocacy.

But right now, because of coronavirus, love looks like staying home. It looks like wearing masks and gloves if we must go out.

It looks like checking in on one another—on neighbors nearby, or on family and friends far away.

It looks like telling the truth and not spreading false information about the virus.

And it looks like doing these things again, and again, and again, for as long as it takes, for they will know we are Christians by our love.

Amid all the terrible news out there these days, I saw this news story which gave me pause. The headline was “St. John the Divine to become hospital.”

The Cathedral of St John the Divine in Manhattan, the largest gothic cathedral in the world, will become a hospital in these next few days. That by itself is a huge thing. What an act of great love that is! I can’t think of a better use of a church building in these days.

But there was another part of the story that leaped out at me. The article went on to say that Samaritan’s Purse – an organization run by Franklin Graham – has also been involved in making this hospital plan happen. Now, Samaritan’s Purse and the Episcopal Church hold very different theological views, as well as views on justice issues. For example, the leaders of Samaritan’s Purse have been known for some pretty extreme anti-Muslim and anti-LGBT speech.

But Dean Daniel of the St. John the Divine Cathedral had this to say about the unlikely cooperation between the two groups:

“I don’t agree with their position on Muslims and gays and a number of other things, but I am willing to work together with them to save lives,” he said. “I feel like it is sort of like the steward on the Titanic as it is sinking—now is not the time to count the silverware, you have to get people into lifeboats.”

Now is not the time to count the silverware. Now is the time for lifeboats. I love that! There are so many reasons why, in regular times, these two groups might choose not to partner together. But for love, they have begun to do a new thing. For love of neighbor, they have decided to truly see one another. For love of Jesus, they are washing each other’s feet. And many will be blessed as a result.

I pray that during this time of quarantine, of being separate and yet together, of learning to do things in a new way, we also will stop counting silverware, and start seeing each other. I pray we will see Christ in each other. More importantly, I pray that in this time, we will start seeing just how expansive God’s love is for us, for those who are different from us, and indeed for the whole world.

In the words of St. John:
Dear friends, love one another. Dear friends, love one another. Dear friends…love one another! Amen. 






Comments