"Hard-pressed and hopeful" Sermon for Sunday 20 September 2020

 "Hard-pressed and hopeful"

Sermon for Sunday, 20 September 2020

Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Jerusalem

The Rev. Carrie Ballenger


Buying spices in the Old City, days before the current lockdown
September 2020


CLICK HERE TO WATCH AND LISTEN


Philippians1:21-30

 

Grace and peace to you from Jerusalem, the city of Our Lord’s crucifixion and resurrection, and for the next few weeks: a city in lockdown because of COVID-19.

Recently, the New York Times gathered and published their readers’ 6-word memoirs of the first 6 months of this global pandemic:

(Thanks to Pastor Molly Phinney Baskette for sharing these first!)

 

“Moved back to California, yay! Oops.” Says Collins Flannery in Washington, D.C.

Mark in Milwaukee writes: “Tired of hearing, ‘Mark, you’re muted.’”

And there’s more:

“Apparently, rock bottom has a basement.”

“Grateful for health, resources, family, friends.”

“New baby. New mother. Absent grandmother.”

“My dad’s last breath, on FaceTime.”

“Baking bread didn’t cure my loneliness.”

“Happy hour: when I say so.”

“Freedom comes through following the rules”

“For sale: spring workwear, never worn”

“Graduated college in my living room”

And:

“My dog loves having us home”

These succinct, 6-word memoirs are both uplifting and heartbreaking, both encouraging and sobering. What a time we are living through! I’m not sure I could describe my own experience of these last months in only 6 words (but then again, my job is to find and write and preach lots of words, for better or for worse!)

But whenever I am stuck for words I most often turn to Holy Scripture, and these last 6 months are no different. The psalms have been a reliable go-to, as they almost always have something to say to any circumstance.

But this week, as here in Israel and Palestine we have just entered a 3 week lockdown (and particularly on this day, as I awoke to the news of the death of the incomparable Ruth Bader Ginsburg) I’m feeling moved by the words of the Apostle Paul to the Philippians. When he wrote this letter, Paul himself was going through great adversity. He was writing from prison, having been jailed by the authorities for his beliefs. His struggle was not the same as ours—thankfully most of us are not being persecuted for our faith—and of course Paul was not living through a global pandemic. But even so, because the Bible is the Living Word of God, there is much truth and much encouragement for us in Paul’s words today.

Friends, hear again today’s reading from the first chapter of Philippians, in which Paul says:

I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.

Only, live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that, whether I come and see you or am absent and hear about you, I will know that you are standing firm in one spirit, striving side by side with one mind for the faith of the gospel, and are in no way intimidated by your opponents. For them this is evidence of their destruction, but of your salvation. And this is God’s doing.

 

Now, this is way more than a 6-word memoir. But to be fair, Paul was imprisoned, and had lots of time to write.

Although I don’t view lockdown as persecution or prison, but is actually godly love of neighbor in action, as I sit here at the beginning of a extended time of isolation from my community, Paul’s words speak to me. In fact, I could write them myself:

I, too, feel hard-pressed. Sometimes I want to give up! To throw in the towel! To give in to the crushing load of worry and uncertainty and cynicism about the future.

And then: I think of others. Of those in need. Of those who hunger. Of those who are lonely. Of those who are oppressed and occupied. Of those who have not yet heard the Good News that they are loved beyond measure, exactly as they are.

I think of Christ, and his love for us—a love that took him all the way to the cross, and beyond.

And for this reason, I stand firm in hope and conviction. As Paul writes, together we are “standing firm in one spirit, striving side by side with one mind for the faith of the gospel, and are in no way intimidated by our opponents.”

And this: this is God’s doing. This is God’s doing, dear friends!

In these difficult times, it has become so clear to me that the strength and courage to stand, to strive, to hope, to love, can only come from God.

It comes from God the Creator, who is love.

It comes from Jesus, our brother, who calls us to love God, to love ourselves, and to love our neighbors—all of our neighbors.

And it comes from that notorious and disturbing presence, the Holy Spirit, who never allows us to simply sit down and give in.

From prison, not knowing if he would ever be released or how his story would end, Paul chose hope. He chose love and life, for the sake of God and neighbor, saying:

“Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith.”

I know that I will remain and continue.

In this moment in time, I feel that this is where we are today, friends.

Although we feel more and more isolated from one another because of lockdowns, school closings, closed borders, and masks, the truth is that God is calling us to not only lean into this moment but more importantly to lean outward. Now more than ever, the faithful are called to live and to love with abandon.

In a time when the right and loving thing to do is to create distance between one another, at the same time we are being pushed beyond our old limits and into new frontiers of love for others. As followers of Jesus today, we must be even more convinced of the triumph of love over fear, of truth over lies, of justice over oppression—and then, as Paul exhorted us, to live in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ.

This is no easy thing. This is no easy moment.

Thankfully, we’re not in this alone. This is God’s work—through us, with us, and in us.

Dear friends, I wonder:

What would your 6-word memoir of the last six months be?

Or, perhaps more importantly:

What 6 words could you take with you in the months to come, that will help you to stand, to strive, to hope?

I shared with church members here in Jerusalem at our Book Club on Monday evening that lately I’ve been practicing a breath prayer whenever anxiety about the future (or the present) tries to take over my body or my mind. A breath prayer is one that you can use any time of day, when walking, working, doing chores, or resting, or waking. You breathe in with the first few words, and breathe out with the next, and repeat as needed. Most often that prayer for me is one I learned long ago: breathing in “Jesus Christ, Lamb of God” breathing out “have mercy on me, a sinner.” Yes, that’s more than 6 words!

But you get the idea.

Today, in light of Paul’s letter to the Philippians, I’m thinking of adding these 6-words to my breath-prayer repertoire:

“I am hard-pressed, and choosing hope.” (2x)

Maybe you can try it with me: “I am hard-pressed, and choosing hope.”

 

You know, if I were to write my 6-word memoir of the last months, it might be this:

Miss my kids more than words.

Or:

I really like to bake bread!

But most importantly:

Jesus was in lockdown with me.

Jesus is in lockdown with me.

We are hard-pressed now, and we don’t know what we might be asked to endure in the future. But we also don’t know what joys are to come, what beauty there is to experience, what laughter might shake our bodies. We have no idea what is about to turn in our nations, in our societies, in our own hearts and bodies.

There are so many things we don’t know.

But we do know this: and here is my 6 word (ok, 9 word) thought for you today:

“You are still here! And this is God’s doing.”

May the peace of God which passes all understanding keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Amen.

 

 

 

 


Comments