"In the middle of the night..then you chose to come" Sermon for 4th Sunday of Advent 2020

Sermon for Sunday 20 December 2020

Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Jerusalem

The Rev. Carrie Ballenger

Luke 1:26-38

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Amen. 


CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE SERMON


 

On this 4th Sunday of Advent, we hear the story of the Annunciation, the moment when God’s angel Gabriel came to Mary to say “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.”

Reading this passage from the Gospel according to Luke again this week, I looked around my home to see what the angels in my collection of nativity scenes look like. One is made from an old quilt, a gift from a church member many years ago. One is delicate, made in Sweden. A favorite is from Bethlehem, made from broken glass collected from the streets after the 2nd Intifada. There’s a sweet little angel giving a blessing, from the Sisters at the convent in Beit Gimal. And then there’s my favorite, a very tall serious-looking angel from the Masai tribe. For sure, he’s come to give an important announcement.

I’m sure you have various angels depicted in your home at this time of year as well.

But I have noticed that in the Bible, angels are always showing up and saying “Don’t be afraid!” which makes me wonder: What did they really look like?

Recently a friend suggested that we should start a campaign to have angels depicted as they really are in the Bible, which is generally not as babies with wings and chubby cheeks. Often, biblical angels are appearing as humans, and are not even recognized as humans until after the encounter. In Luke chapter 2, when the shepherds were in the fields watching their flocks by night, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. (Or, as I remember from the story I heard as a child: They were “sore afraid” which somehow sounds even worse!)

Then, in the book of Ezekiel, angels are described in this way:

“Their entire bodies, including their backs, hands, and wings, were full of eyes all around, as were their four wheels” (Ezekiel 10:12).

Can you imagine us decorating our Christmas trees with angels full of eyes all over their bodies? All of our visitors would be “sore afraid” to come to our homes for the holidays!

I don’t think a loving God intends to scare us with these messengers. Still, “Do not be afraid” said Gabriel to Mary. Whatever Gabriel looked like, we know that he came to give her some really big news, unexpected news, news that would change the world. And I think that in this year 2020 we have learned all over again that big, unexpected news isn’t always so welcome. No matter what the messenger looks or sounds like, news that will change the world is scary to receive, scary to watch on the news, scary to experience. Even if it’s good news, it can make us “sore afraid.”

When Gabriel appeared to Mary, the news was not only huge for her. It was huge news for the world. From that day forward, things would be different. Nothing would ever be the same, because God was coming near to humankind. As Anglican priest and theologian Sir Edwyn Hoskyns put it, the Incarnation is “a dagger thrust into the weft of human history.” In other words, the birth of Jesus forever changed the fabric of our world. In fact, the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem made us fully aware of how God the Creator is woven into our lives and relationships, into our joys and our sorrows, into our pasts and our futures.

This is Good News, of course, but it could also make us “sore afraid”. Anything this big is bound to give us pause, to make us take a step back and say “Wait—am I ready for this?”

Along with contemplating the size and shape and nature of angels this week, I also thought about how, in my mind’s eye, the Annunciation always happens at night. And yet, in the Scriptures, there’s nothing to indicate the angel Gabriel came to Mary at night. I suppose my own assumption about this comes from a picture I must have seen in my children’s story Bible, or in Sunday School class. I don’t know exactly where this image came from, but I can see it now: It was the deep of night, and stars were shining outside the window. Mary was sitting up in bed (in a room that looked a lot like my own) when an angel with huge wings stepped into her bedroom through a window. (Not an excellent image to show to earnest church kids before they go to bed, by the way!)

Honestly, we don’t know when Gabriel appeared to Mary. It could have been while she was doing laundry. Maybe she was taking a walk, and he stopped to ask her for directions, and then the conversation suddenly took a turn. Maybe Gabriel was a family friend, and she invited him to lunch, and then he shared this big news with her when she least expected it.

The point us: Angels are messengers of the Lord, and in my experience messages from God don’t come in perfectly wrapped packages. They don’t look like we expect. They don’t come on our time schedules. They certainly don’t always appear during the proper season of the church year, when we’ve decorated with the proper liturgical colors, have lit the candles in the right order, and have sung the appointed hymns.

Messages, and messengers, of God come when they will. In God’s time. In God’s way. Through the people (or, I suppose through the creatures with many wings and eyes) that God sends.

But I do think there’s a reason that we might imagine the Annunciation happened at nighttime. The night is magical, and full of promise. When the stars are in the sky and the hours before dawn loom before us, it makes perfect sense to hear the message the angel gave to Mary: “For nothing will be impossible with God.”

I remember as a child I would lie in bed and sometimes, suddenly, I would be completely overwhelmed thinking of the vastness of the universe and my own smallness within it. I would almost become dizzy lying there, wondering if just the contemplation of this vastness would swallow me up and I would become nothing in an instant.

But I had also heard the Good News. I knew that I was not alone in the world. And for many Christmases in a row, I had heard the words of the angel: Do not be afraid.

And so at night time, even if I was a little afraid, because the hours before dawn stretched out before me, I also dreamed the most amazing things: Things I wanted to do and see. The cities and countries I would visit. The family I might have some day. The love I might experience. And I was not afraid.

Some of us are afraid of the dark, and some of us embrace the dark. I think all of us probably do both, at different times. I’m reminded of an amazing Good Friday sermon in which the preacher invited the congregation to imagine the hours of that day, after the cross but before the resurrection, not as the darkness of the tomb, but as the darkness of the womb. As the moment when something new was about to be born.

In this hemisphere, tomorrow is the longest night of the year, and it comes at the end of what feels like the longest year ever. For many of us, this is a difficult time. We can’t celebrate the way we would like. We can’t be with all the people we love.

And yet, although tomorrow is the longest night, the day after tomorrow, there will be more daylight. The day after tomorrow, more vaccines will have reached more people. The day after tomorrow, we will be one day closer to Christmas. The day after tomorrow, we will be one day closer to the day when Our Lord Jesus will come again, bringing the fullness of the kingdom of justice, peace, and reconciliation for all the world.

We don’t know what this next year will bring, just as at last Christmas, we could never have imagined what 2020 would bring! So much has happened. So much has been lost. It feels like everything has changed.

And yet, so much remains. And there’s so much to look forward to! Above all, the love of God is with us still. God is still sending messengers to bring us good news—through unexpected people, at unexpected times, and just when we need it most. Through friends, through family, through strangers, through Scripture, through bread and wine: God breaks into our regular days, as well as our terrible ones, with love, companionship, and hope.

Thanks be to God!

And therefore, even in the longest night, at the end of the longest year, we heed the words of the angel Gabriel, and we are not afraid. We are not afraid!

Each year at this time, I am drawn back to this poem from Archbishop Dom Helder Camara (1909-1999), and this year it feels even more appropriate:

***

In the middle of the night,

when stark night was darkest,

then you chose to come. 

God’s resplendent first-born

sent to make us one.

 

The voices of doom protest:

“All these words about justice, love and peace—

all these naïve words will buckle

beneath the weight of a reality which is brutal and bitter,

ever more bitter.”

 

It is true, Lord,

it is midnight upon the earth,

moonless night and starved of stars. 

But can we forget that You, the son of God,

chose to be born precisely at midnight?


Comments