"A different kind of armor for a different kind of battle" Sermon for Sunday 22 August 2021

 

Sermon for Sunday 22 August 2021

13th Sunday after Pentecost

Ephesians 6:10-20

 Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Jerusalem

The Rev. Carrie Ballenger


CLICK HERE TO LISTEN


 

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Love of God, and the Communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

 

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord my strength and my redeemer. Amen.

 This summer I had the opportunity (finally!) to travel to the United States and visit my mom and dad, brother, son, nephews, and other chosen family. In pre-COVID times I was a frequent traveler, very familiar with airports and airport culture. My experience has been that airport workers are generally stressed out and sometimes rude—because flyers are almost always stressed out and almost always rude.

 On this trip, I found that COVID has not improved airport culture. In fact, the added stress of tests and masks and social distancing and worry meant that on my journey to the States in June, I just tried hard to stay away from everyone. I outdid myself saying “please and thank you” to flight attendants and “pardon me” to anyone who got into my personal space, all to avoid the wrath of grumpy people. It mostly worked.

 On my way back to Jerusalem from Chicago in August, however, something strange happened. I was entering the first of many security lines when Cosmo (the older Greek gentleman arranging us into line) smiled broadly and said to me, “What lovely religious tattoos, Miss.” The unexpected compliment stopped me in my tracks, and I smiled back saying, “Why thank you!”

 And then on we went. At the end of the passport line, I approached the window and handed over my documents. The woman in uniform behind the glass handed my passport back and said, “I just love your haircut!” Again, the compliment surprised me. It seemed so out of place in the context of streams of masked, grumpy people navigating a maze of security protocols. I smiled again and said brightly, “Thank you!” and moved on.

 An hour or so later, after my customary airport adult beverage, I was standing in the special Israel security line. Passport check, visa check, vaccine check, and then I was at the bag check. The man who was scanning my things and rifling through my bag suddenly looked up and said to me, “Ma’am, that’s a lovely yellow necklace you’re wearing. Have a good flight.”

 Now at this point, I was suspicious. Was this niceness some kind of new corporate mandate? Did airport workers have a required number of compliments to give each day? I had never experienced such a thing, in all my years of traveling to many different countries. Cynically, I wondered if perhaps this was a strategic way of coping with COVID grumpiness among travelers. Kill them with kindness, so to speak.

 Or maybe, I thought, this wasn’t corporate intentional kindness, but just individual intentional kindness. Humanity, at its best.

 I suppose in the end, it didn’t matter. Because it worked! I settled into my airplane seat feeling less scared, less stressed, less angry, and far less depressed about humanity and the world in general. Thanks be to God.

 Dear people, we are all in a massive battle against a nasty virus. And most of us are doing our part—receiving vaccines, wearing masks, and following guidelines about gathering in public. Even so, many months later, we are still in the thick of the fight, and we don’t know when it might end.

 But the truth is, we are also in another ongoing battle. It’s the battle for our souls and our shared humanity. In the Ephesians text we heard this morning the Apostle Paul writes,

 12For our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

 I think if Paul were experiencing the world as it is today, he might add “For our struggle is not against the virus, but against the discord, the vitriol, and the poisonous forces of division invading our communities and our hearts.” This is the ultimate struggle the world is engaged in, and sadly it didn’t begin with COVID, and it didn’t begin with an election, either. We know from Holy Scripture (and from world history) that humans have been fighting to remain human ever since Adam and Eve left the garden. And just in case you think being a Christian solves everything, read the letters of Paul. Or just read the news!

 Yes, we are in an epic battle—for our health, but also for our souls, and for the future of the world. As I walked through the airport that day in Chicago, I saw all kinds of protocols and protections, barriers and blockades in place to fight the spread of the virus. It felt like a war zone. But those small acts of kindness, those three unexpected comments from strangers, they also felt like part of a war strategy. Can kindness kill COVID? No. But it can disrupt the system. It can shift thinking. It can soften hearts. It can make someone smile. It can change the world.

 In his letter to the Ephesians, Paul recommends that the Christian community put on the “whole armor of God.” Now, at that time the church in Ephesus was experiencing persecution from outside as well as turmoil from inside the community. Furthermore, their teacher Paul was in prison.

 (A side note here: traditionally, this letter was thought to be written by Paul himself around the year 62, while he was in prison. However, modern scholars believe it may have been written by one of his students about 25 years later, as a way to sum up Paul’s teachings, and that it was sent to many different Christian communities, including Ephesus. In any case, for the purpose of this sermon, we will assume they are the words of Paul himself.)

 So, the early Christian church in various places was being persecuted by the Romans, which means they would have been familiar with the image of soldiers in mighty armor, patrolling their communities and instilling fear. They may have even been considering their own response to this threat. Should we arm ourselves? Should we fight back? Should we go to war to protect our way of life?

 But Paul gives the early church an alternative. In the midst of a hostile world, he tells them Christians are to engage in battle not with their neighbors, but with the forces of evil which inspired the problem in the first place. This is the Way of Christ, says Paul.

 And for this sort of battle, we need a different uniform.

 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness. 15As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace. 16With all of these, take the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

 Put on the whole armor of God. I have to admit, this whole passage makes me think of our new standard piece of armor: the face mask. It seems to me that this, too, is part of the whole armor of God. Because when we read this description of the pieces of armor God has chosen for us, they are mostly defensive. They are protective. Not only that, they serve to make not only one’s own life better, but others’ as well. Truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace—these make the world a better place. The shield of faith, with which we are able to “quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one”—well it, too serves the common good. And for this reason, yes: a face mask is part of the whole armor of God for a Christian. It is for us, and it is for others.

 Now I do want to say this: We should not spiritualize pain and struggle. The people of Haiti are fighting for their lives. The women of Afghanistan are struggling to remain free to work and to learn. Black people are pushing back against a system that has kept them oppressed for hundreds of years. Palestinians are engaged in the ongoing resistance to an illegal occupation. These battles are real.

 And still, the words of Paul ring true. As Christians engage in protest, in speaking truth to power, and in overturning unjust systems, we are called to remember that ultimately our enemy is not our neighbor. Our enemy is never flesh and blood. Our enemy is the sin and evil which lies at the root of all injustice and hatred. And so we must dress, and act, accordingly for these battles. We must clothe ourselves in Christ, crucified and risen—the Christ who fed the hungry, ate with sinners, challenged empire, and then emptied himself of divine power for the sake of the world. This is the Way we will win not only the battle, but the war—the war for our souls and for the future of the world.

 So back to that airplane from Chicago to Jerusalem. Still basking in the kindness shown to me earlier, I settled in for the long flight. The woman next to me clearly wanted to talk. I did not! Nevertheless, in a few short minutes, she told me about her life, her children, her vacation, and the date when she made Aliyah. I told her I am a Christian pastor. She told me she didn’t know any Christians. I told her I live and work with Palestinians. She told me she lived in a settlement.

 I could feel myself bristle and harden, from the inside out. I just wanted to watch a movie, not have a political or religious talk in close quarters. I knew how these conversations usually developed. So, I put in my earphones and scrolled through the movie options, trying to exhibit an air of “I’m not available for this right now.”

 But as we took off into the air, the woman pulled two apples out of her bag. She leaned over, tapped me on the arm, and handed me one of the apples, saying “Here you go, neighbor. It might be a while until dinner, and I thought you might be hungry.”

 Lutheran theologian, philosopher, musician and doctor Albert Schweitzer once wrote, “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.”

 And so, my fellow Christians…we shall wear kindness on our sleeves. We shall put on the belt of truth, and the breastplate of righteousness. We shall wear shoes that help us be peacemakers. We shall carry our faith with us, that it can help us resist evil from without and from within. And we shall pray always—for the world, for our neighbors, for our enemies, and for ourselves, that we may stand firm in the love of God in Christ Jesus, not letting our hearts be infected with the virus of hatred or indifference.

 May the peace of Christ which passes all understanding keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Amen.

 

Comments