"All Saints Sunday 2022: an appeal for family support"

 

Sermon for All Saints Sunday

6 November 2022

University Lutheran Church, Cambridge

The Rev. Carrie Ballenger

Luke 6:20-31

 CLICK HERE TO LISTEN



One day, early in my time serving as pastor in Jerusalem, I walked around the corner from our Lutheran church to sit in the Chapel of the Flagellation, located in the back of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. This chapel is kept by the Franciscans and is a rather modern worship space, especially in comparison to the other chapels and prayer nooks which are many hundreds and even thousands of years old.

I sat in the little chapel all alone, silent, and took in my surroundings. There was a stark modern rendering of the Stations of the Cross to my left, 3-dimensional bronze figures marching across a shelf above my head. There were deep blue and gold tiles on the wall just behind the altar before me, in the shape of a globe. There was a stone pillar mounted on the wall, supposedly the pillar where Jesus was chained and whipped on the way to the cross (hence the name “Chapel of the Flagellation”).

And then I noticed the base of the altar itself. It seemed to have many figures emerging out of the stone. I stood from the pew and walked closer to confirm that indeed, the altar was being supported by—was perhaps even emerging out of—human faces, each one of them somehow reaching out to me from the stone.

To be honest, at first I thought this was a little bit creepy! But the more I looked at them—friendly faces, smiling faces, old faces, young faces, regular faces—the more they reminded me that I was not really alone in that space at all. In fact, I was struck again by the reality that each time we come to the table, each time we gather as the Body of Christ, we are joined by the entirety of the beloved community—those in other churches, those loved ones who live far away whom we wish we could see more often, and especially by those who have already crossed the Jordan before us.

Evelyn Underhill, an English writer and pacifist who was a master of the spiritual life, reminds of us what it means to be members together of the body of Christ across time and space. She says:

“Christian worship is never a solitary undertaking. Both on its visible and invisible sides, it has a thoroughly social and organic character. The worshipper, however lonely in appearance, comes before God as a member of a great family; part of the Communion of Saints, living and dead. His own small effort at adoration is offered “in and for all. …The custom of invoking those saints, found from primitive times in the Eastern and Western Church, is a special aspect of this spiritual solidarity; an appeal as it were from the struggling individual for family support.”

An appeal for family support.

I love this idea.

I love to think that this morning, as we sang in thanksgiving for our ancestors in the faith from biblical times, and then named those saints who have died in more recent days, we were honoring them, and remembering them, and also appealing to them for family support.

God knows we need family support these days. We need them, not only because we love and miss them, but because the life of discipleship is not easy. We cannot do this alone. We need the saints’ stories of persistence, of courage, of good humor in the face of life’s challenges. We need to be reminded of their love, both for us and for God. We need to feel the foundation of their faith under our feet as today we step out to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God.

The Gospel reading today is from Jesus’ most famous sermon. I remember memorizing Matthew’s version of the Beatitudes as part of my Confirmation classes as a young person (I was trying to win a free dinner with the pastor, which tells you exactly what kind of nerd I was!) The Beatitudes have remained very meaningful to me. But my interpretation of these words was transformed through the life and witness of Archbishop Elias Chachour, the Greek Catholic bishop of Akko, Haifa, Nazareth, whom I met when I worked in the Holy Land. He is a prominent campaigner of peace through justice between Israeli Jews and Arabs, working through a process of reconciliation through education and establishing good relationships across the divide.

Archbishop Chacour wrote, in his book “We Belong to the Land”:

“Knowing Aramaic, the language of Jesus, has greatly enriched my understanding of Jesus’ teachings.  Because the Bible as we know it is a translation of a translation, we sometimes get a wrong impression.  For example, we are accustomed to hearing the Beatitudes expressed passively:

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.

‘Blessed’ is the translation of the word makarioi used in the Greek New Testament.  However, when I look further back to Jesus’ Aramaic, I find that the original word was ashray from the verb yashar.  Ashray does not have this passive quality to it at all.  Instead, it means ‘to set yourself on the right way for the right goal; to turn around, repent; to become straight or righteous’.

When I understand Jesus’ words in the Aramaic, I translate like this:

Get up, go ahead, do something, move, you who are hungry and thirsty for justice, for you shall be satisfied.

Get up, go ahead, do something, move, you peacemakers, for you shall be called children of God.

To me this reflects Jesus’ words and teachings much more accurately.  I can hear him saying, ‘Get your hands dirty to build a human society for human beings; otherwise, others will torture and murder the poor, the voiceless, and the powerless’.

Christianity is not passive but active, energetic, alive, going beyond despair.”

Hear those words again:

Get up, go ahead, do something.

Or, as Jesus ended his Sermon on the Plain in our reading today:

“Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

Dear people, this is why we need the saints. This is why we honor them through liturgy, song, prayer, and lights on this day, among others. We need our beloveds of the faith who have gone before us, because 2,000 years later Jesus’ words are still counter-cultural. They still have the power to disrupt our world and to birth the kingdom of heaven on earth. The path of discipleship can still lead us to ridicule, persecution, or worse.

Jesus calls us to “get up, go ahead, do something” and I think the fact that we are here gathered here this morning is a witness that we desire to do just that. Our hearts are willing and ready to follow him wherever he leads—even as far as the cross.

But somedays, it’s just hard.

Some days, I read the news and I have very little love for humanity.

Some days, I mess up, and I have very little love for myself.

Some days, I wonder if anything we are doing or saying or praying can make a difference.

And then I think of Dorothy Day, the founder of the Catholic Worker House in New York City, who said, “No one has the right to sit down and feel hopeless. There is too much work to do.”

(She also, by the way, said “Do not call me a saint. I don’t want to be dismissed so easily!”)

I think also of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Apostle Paul, and many others who have written to us from prison, reminding us to fight the good fight even when we can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, even when the powers and principalities try to oppress us and the truth.

With a smile, I very often think of one of my late parishioners, who died just before her 100th birthday. Iva had outlived several husbands, several children, and sadly at least one grandchild. She had lost one eye to cancer. She could no longer walk. When she started to come to the church where I was pastoring, she rode in on horseback. At the end of her life she was sending me emails.

One day, Iva’s children called me in to say a last prayer at her bedside. We gathered around the hospital bed set up in her living room and had a moment of thanksgiving and prayer and of letting go.

But when we said “amen”, Iva, bless her heart, opened her one remaining eye, looking in my direction, and said, “Sorry, Pastor, false alarm! I’m still here I guess.”

I’m still here.

Dear ones, on this day, surrounded by the lights we have lit in honor of the saints both old and new, what I want you to remember is that although they have died, and they are no longer with us in body, they are still with us. They are with us through the stories we tell about them. They are with us in the way they have shaped our lives. They are with us through the art they created, the work they did, the children they raised, the love they shared. We are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, thanks be to God.

Therefore, when you are called to love your enemies, and to speak truth to power, and to face your own shortcomings, and to step out in faith toward a future that seems uncertain…know that you do not do it alone. We are not lone disciples. Through baptism, we are joined together with the saints of all times and places. Through Water and the Word, we are one Body, knit together as one communion and fellowship through the mystical body of Jesus Christ, our Savior. We walk together, all of us. Through prayer, through this community, through love of God and neighbor, we are able. Together, we shall overcome—for the sake of the Gospel. For the sake of our neighbor. For the sake of all those who have gone before us.

Thank you, Creator, for their lives. Thank you for our lives. Let us honor life, and you, in all our days.

Let the peace of God which passes all understanding keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Amen.  

 

 

Comments