A Jerusalem October




October has always been my most favorite month of the year. In the American midwest, October means changing leaves, crisp cool weather, sweaters, candy corn, harvest festivals, apple cider donuts, (overpriced) pumpkin spice coffees, Halloween, and...my birthday! What's not to like? When we were preparing to move to Jerusalem, I was a little embarrassed to discover I had nearly as many autumn and Halloween knick-knacks as I did for Christmas. I even found a sack of brand new ones I had purchased last November, from the 90% off aisle at Walgreens! Like I said...I love October.

Last year, this is what autumn looked like at my house in Illinois:

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
From Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Photo by Carrie Smith
Beautiful, right?

"Autumn" in Jerusalem, on the other hand, feels like someone just turned the volume down on summer a little bit. I especially miss seeing the leaves of the trees changing color! But instead of focusing on what I'm missing this October, I thought I might need to practice seeing things differently. We may not have leaves that change colors, but Jerusalem is a very colorful place indeed! Here are some colors of this beautiful, eclectic, and vibrant city in which I live:


Blue door knocker
Brown bread

Red embroidery


Purple-red Pomegranates

Green bumper sticker
Gray cat, Blue sky
Black dresses, colorful headscarves



Graffiti in red, white, and blue


 
Gray stone sabeel arches 
Yellow & Purple flowers  





Pink sunrise 
  

Comments