Sunday morning: Love Among Equals

Damascus Gate, Jerusalem
Photo by Carrie Smith
Mission personnel sent by the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) are well-versed in the theology of accompaniment. We know that we are to walk with our companions, wherever we are sent, seeking to offer our gifts and talents in our mutual mission - - and to be ready to also receive the gifts of those to whom we are sent.

Accompaniment is a lofty idea, but one which feels almost common sense when you’re sitting in a room in Chicago with other brand-new missionaries, eager to go out and “change the world” in the name of Jesus.

It’s quite another thing to experience it on the way to church on a Sunday morning.

Yesterday, I set out for church at about 7:50 a.m., just in time to hear the church bells at the Holy Sepulcher (Church of the Resurrection) ringing at 8 a.m. as I walked into the Old City. After nearly 3 months of walking the same paths through various gates, I’m starting to know some of the shopkeepers. I always get big smiles when I try out my fledgling Arabic skills (“Sabah il khair! Good morning! Keef halek? How are you?”) Often these brief dialogues in Arabic turn into 15 minutes detours as we speak in English about the occupation, the lack of tourism traffic, where I’m from in the States, and where to buy the best falafel. 

On this Sunday, however, I was trying to avoid such a delay. I had spent all of Saturday harvesting olives for the Lutheran World Federation (harvesting olives on the Mt. of Olives! Seriously!) and my entire body was telling me to go back to bed instead of church. 


As luck would have it, one of the regulars on my route was sitting outside his shop already. As I approached, he called out “Good morning! I insist to give you a water. Please, go inside and open the fridge to get a small water.”

Experience has taught me this is an offer one cannot refuse. I thanked the shopkeeper and went inside to get the water. Of course, this wasn’t the end of the conversation.

“Have you seen my painting? It is hand-done.” Soon, we are looking at Victor’s hand-painted tiles, plates, and plaques. Most are so dusty that the true colors are muted. Victor’s shop is tiny and easy to miss, and Victor himself could easily be classified as elderly.

“This is for you. I want you to have it.” 

Victor handed me a tile on which was printed (not hand-painted), “Jerusalem.” I had actually owned one exactly like it, which shattered  (ironically) on our move to Jerusalem.

“You don’t have to do this, Victor! Really!”

“What?” he said. “We are not friends?”

The tile went into my purse.

When I was finally able to continue on to church (15 minutes later) I was thinking how I really needed to hurry now. I rounded the corner and saw Abdullah, a homeless man who greets me with a smile and the same brief conversation in Arabic every day. (He’s actually the one who has taught me my most useful Arabic phrases!) 

As I walked toward him, I thought to myself: “Aha! I’m going to give Abdullah this cold bottle of water. I don’t need it, and I’ll be happy to give him something.”

Preparing for my big feel-good moment of the morning, I crossed over to the side of the street where he was sitting and flashed a big smile. “Sabah il khair, Abdullah!”

“Sabah il nur!” he replied. And then, just like that, he was pressing a pack of peppermints into my hand.

“A gift for you, habibti,” he said. 

Thunder completely stolen! My plan was ruined! I thanked him, but then stretched out my hand with the cold bottle of water.  “For you,” I said.

He looked up at me sadly, and in an instant I realized what I had done. Just like that, his generous gift of love had become a transaction. He gives me peppermints, I give him water. My discomfort with a homeless Muslim offering me a gift on my way to church had caused me to attempt to even the playing field.

Abdullah said, “No, I have water,” and gestured to an empty bottle lying on the street next to him. “No, please, take it,” I insisted, two more times. Then, per Arab culture, because I had offered three times, he was obliged to receive the water.

I walked on to church, trying to feel good and generous, but with this dialogue weighing heavily upon me. When I reached the church, I saw three older members of the Arabic-speaking congregation sitting outside the doors of the main sanctuary. The time change had happened the night before in Jerusalem (but 3 days before in the West Bank) and it was clear to me that these folks had gotten confused about when worship was happening.

“Sabah il khair!” I said. Abu Emil replied “Sabah il nur!” and then chattered on in Arabic for a few more minutes. He followed me down the street and then hovered over me as I fumbled for my keys and opened the door near my office. We both stepped inside.

“Shukran!” the old man said with a smile, and simultaneously pressed a candy into my hand. It was 8:10 a.m., and I had so far received four gifts on the way to Sunday worship.

What is accompaniment? What does it mean to let go of our need to be the givers, and learn to be receivers? How can we honestly acknowledge the privilege, education, and resources we bring with us to the mission field (wherever that may be) and at the same time respect and receive what our neighbors have to offer and to teach us?

“If there is no friendship with them [the poor] and no sharing of the life of the poor, then there is no authentic commitment to liberation, because love exists only among equals.”

― Gustavo GutiĆ©rrez, "A Theology of Liberation" 


Olive trees on the Lutheran World Federation Campus, Mt. of Olives
Photo by Carrie Smith







Comments