Sunsets, rain, and finishing what I've started


For it was you who formed my inward parts;

   you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
   Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well. 


Psalm 139 


A few days ago, this was the view from my balcony in Jerusalem just before sunset: 




No filter, no special camera, and I don't even care about the construction cranes in the middle of the shot! This is just God's own beauty, pouring through the heavens. I almost missed this gorgeous moment, because I had a Skype appointment with our tax accountant and should have been staring at a computer screen. At the last second, I wondered if the WiFi would still pick up on the balcony for my call. So thankful that it did! How wonderful are your works, O God!

It's actually been raining here in Jerusalem the last few days, which just adds to my general sense of gratitude this weekend. In fact, a little moisture and temperatures a few degrees cooler seem to have put everyone in slightly better moods. (It also washed some of the bird droppings off the aforementioned balcony.) Thanks be to God! 

It was a little hard to get in the spirit, considering I'm still wearing sandals every day, but this was my week of planning for Advent and Christmas worship. I wonder if I'll ever stop having those moments when I'm reading Scripture (or choosing hymns) and suddenly it occurs to me: "O Little Town of Bethlehem--wait, I was there for coffee yesterday..." 

This weekend I finally finished the knitting project I started while delayed in Oklahoma due to the conflict in Gaza. It was supposed to be a "wrap", and turned into something more like a "very fat scarf", but I like it anyway! 






Of course, one of the best parts of finishing a knitting project is the thrill of starting a new one. This one will be a gift for a friend who is fighting ovarian cancer. I understand teal is the color for Ovarian Cancer Awareness...I hope she likes it! 

Every week, every day in fact, is both an adventure and a challenge here in Jerusalem. Giving thanks for God's wonderful works -- sunsets, rain, good work to do, and a little time for leisure. Enough and to spare. 

Thanks be to God -- alhamdulillah -- الحمد لله








Comments